At Valley Christian, we believe that all students are inherently creative, just like our God. We desire for all students to have access to discovering the use of their entire minds, bodies and spirits as tools for expression and communication. This means that the arts are often integrated into other classes, such as history, where they might be put in the role of the artist as well as engage thoughtfully with a work of art. Furthermore, students have the opportunity to take arts-specific courses to focus on building skills in the various disciplines of the performing arts.
Our goals are to:
- Equip all students with the ability to communicate powerfully using the skills developed in the craft of theater. Students courageously learn to use their voice, faces and bodies to tell a story, whether it be through a public speaking opportunity or a Shakespearean monologue in English class.
- Educate and engage the whole learner in artistic literacy by reflecting on, responding to, and interacting with the arts as individuals and as part of the community.
- Develop young artists in the technique and habits of mind exemplified in performing artists. Our students learn the discipline and creativity of the craft not only from teachers who have been professional singers and dancers, but also guest artists who are currently working in the performing arts.
- Traditional choral singing and skills of foundational music literacy
- Global music – instrumental, vocal & dance
- Participation for Grades 3-5 in the MS/HS Musical Theater productions (includes stagecraft, choreography, private and small group coachings, etc.)
Middle School Opportunities:
- Arts Wheel (interdisciplinary quarterly arts class incorporating theater, music and art)
- Theater class
- Theater class
- Dance class
- Global Music Appreciation
- Dance classes
- Intro to Theater course
Grades 6-12 after school:
- Musical theater & play productions (includes stagecraft, choreography, private and small group coachings, etc.)
- Opportunities to work with guest artists who are currently performing musicians, actors & dancers
- Opportunities to see professional productions at regional theaters and performance venues such as Stanford Live, Berkeley Repertory Theatre and the American Conservatory Theater
- Culminating performances